MEDIA CONSUMPTION IS INCREASING AT AN ALARMING RATE FOR CHILDREN 0-8 YEARS OLD.
• Seventy-two percent of children age 8 and under have used a mobile device for some type of media activity such as playing games, watching videos, or using apps, up from 38% in 2011.
• The amount of time spent using these devices in a typical day has tripled, from an average of :05 a day among all children in 2011 up to :15 a day in 2013.
• Nearly six out of 10 children (58%) watch TV at least once a day
MEDIA AFFECTS YOUR KIDS.
It takes away time from interactions and interactive play.
It melts “family time”.
• Model effective media use and help children learn to be selective and healthy in what they view.
• Take an active role in children’s media education by co-viewing TV, movies and videos with them and discuss important family values.
• Monitor what media your child is using and accessing, including any websites he/she is visiting and social media sites they use.
Source: survey of 1,463 parents of children age 8 by Common Sense Media and conducted by GfK from May 20 to June 12, 2013.