Here’s what the FBI says you should do if you receive a call from someone who claims to have kidnapped your relative:
· Ask to speak to the hostage.
· Ask the kidnapper to describe the hostage.
· Listen to the voice of the kidnap victim.
· Try and get in touch with the hostage through social media, phone calls or text messages to check if they’re OK.
· Make some more time for yourself by repeating the kidnapper’s request back to them, or claim to be writing down what they’re saying.
· Try and avoid arguing with the kidnapper.
· Ask for the hostage to call you from their own phone.