Do you use any personal care product in the morning? If yes, this is a must read.
In a very exhaustive study, EWG found that the average adult uses nine personal care products each day, containing 126 different chemicals.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) estimates that one out of five cosmetics might be contaminated with a cancer-causing agent.2
And did you know that NO ONE REGULATES THEM!!!
The United Nations Environmental Program estimates that approximately 70,000 chemicals are in common use across the world, with 1,000 new chemicals being introduced every year. Of all the chemicals used in cosmetics, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health reported that nearly 900 are toxic, and that estimate might be low.3 And did you know that, if you use conventional cosmetics on a daily basis, you can absorb almost five pounds of chemicals and toxins into your body each year?
Putting chemicals on your skin or scalp, such as getting a hair dye, may actually be worse than eating them. When you eat something, the enzymes in your saliva and stomach help to break it down and flush it out of your body. However, when you put these chemicals on your skin, they are absorbed straight into your bloodstream without filtering of any kind, going directly to your delicate organs. And over time they tend to accumulate because you lack the necessary enzymes to break them down.
So what do you do?
· Look for the genuine USDA Organic Seal. Beware of the word Natural. There are no federal regulations for beauty products; anyone can claim their product is "natural”. A label with the word "natural" does not mean the product contains only natural or organic ingredients.
· If you can’t pronounce it, don’t put it on your body. Ask yourself, "Would I eat this?"
· Buy products that are fragrance-free.
· Pay attention to the order in which the ingredients are listed. Manufacturers are required to list ingredients in descending order by volume, meaning the first few ingredients are the most prominent.
· Stick to the basics and avoid cosmetics as much as possible.
· Drink plenty of water every day to help your body in flushing out toxins.
· Eat lots of vibrantly colored organic vegetables and fruits, to keep your body well stocked with antioxidants.
· Look for products that are made by companies that are earth-friendly, animal-friendly and green.