We tend to throw out a great deal of food just because it has passed the last date of expiration.
In a piece published by the BBC, professor Liza Acreli, expert of environmental health of Salford University in England, reviewed various food products and determined the real expiration date, after which they should not be consumed.
· Chicken: Can be good for eating if passes smell test, even 2 days after expiration date.
· Milk: Can last 2 more days. Remember to check both smell and that it doesn’t have lumps.
· Yellow Cheese: In a closed container, can last even 2 weeks after the expiration date.
· Yogurt: Can be good to eat even a month after the expiration date. Smell won’t help so much here.
· Flour, Sugar, Rice and Pasta: Can last 10 YEARS after expiration date, if they are kept in a closed package without being exposed to moisture.
· Jam and Honey: Never go bad, as long as they are kept clean without outside materials.