· For mental sharpness, eat seafood such as salmon, mackerel, herring and trout that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
· To boost cognition and memory, eat foods high in antioxidants including blueberries, grapes, nuts and leafy greens.
· For steadier energy, eat complex carbohydrates like whole wheat bread, green and starchy vegetables, brown rice and soy.
· To help regulate levels of serotonin (and mood), eat lean proteins like turkey, chicken, lean beef, eggs and beans.
· Being active can help you prevent or manage a wide range of health problems including heart disease, stroke, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, colon and breast cancer, arthritis and falls. It also helps support better digestion and bone density. Getting regular exercise is also one of the best ways to reduce stress, anxiety and depression, elevate and stabilize your mood (via production of endorphins, the feel-good neurotransmitters), improve sleep quality, and boost your self-esteem!