- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Pour the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar in a pot and bring it to a simmer.
- Stir in the honey, cayenne pepper and ginger.
- Pour the contents into a jar and store in a cool, dry place.
- Warm it. Adults can take 1 or 2 tablespoons daily, as needed. Shake the jar well before using.
All the ingredients are expectorants that can loosen phlegm and mucus, so you can expel it from your body more easily. For decongestion, the capsaicin in cayenne pepper (the component that makes it spicy) helps relieve the swelling and inflammation that narrows your nasal passages. Apple cider vinegar and lemon are also added to the mixture because of their decongestant properties. Apple cider vinegar serves to thin the mucus that’s secreted, allowing for congested areas to be drained; while lemon juice is also known to help with congestion, apart from giving the mixture a more pleasant taste.