In recent years, many tainted weight loss products have been sold in the U.S. Hidden ingredients have included stimulants, antidepressants, diuretics, seizure medicines, and laxatives. This list includes prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and drugs which are illegal to sell in the United States.
• Fluoxetine is a prescription antidepressant; It’s been found in dietary supplements for weight loss. There are a number of side effects to this drug.
• Phenolphthalein is a laxative. It was removed from the FDA’s list of safe ingredients in 1999 after animal studies showed that it might cause cancer.
• Furosemide is a prescription diuretic; Taking too much can cause the body to lose a lot of fluid through extra urination and cause dehydration, muscle weakness, and electrolyte imbalance.
• Phenytoin is a prescription drug used to treat seizures; There are numerous effects in overdose and numerous possible drug interactions.
• Sibutramine is the most common drug found in contaminated weight loss supplements. People taking sibutramine don’t lose a lot of weight, but they had an increased chance of having high blood pressure, fast heart rate, a heart attack, or a stroke.
• Some drugs approved for use in other countries but not in the United States have been found in supplements sold here.
The best weight loss regimen:
• Eat healthy and less
• Drink water
• Eat a plant based diet