In a recent survey, 78 percent of the parent-child pairings reported being active together at least once a week.
Researchers found that parents and kids are more likely to exercise together if…
• Parents believe in the power of good health, and understand that physical activity is important.
• Parents and children frequently eat meals together.
• The child is on any sports/track/activity team
• Parents tend to set limits on TV watching
• Parents feel their neighborhood is safe.
· Parents be a role model and exercise themselves
As a parent:
• Engage in physical activity. Kids aged 6 to 17 need 60 minutes of activity every day.
• Understand that every little bit counts.
• Try to hang out more. Make a point of having more family meals together
• Establish habits early on.
• Walk more often. At the very minimum park your car far in a parking lot and walk to the store.
• Make exercise into a mini-competition (against their previous personal best).