Look at this chart below. Let it sink in….. Global production of plastic is growing exponentially.
We all know the plastic is the leading cause of pollution that our kids are inheriting from us.
And we have started hearing about actions that people have been taking to lower their plastic footprint.
Yet, it has had virtually no impact. It is time to take more stringent actions to curb plastic pollution in our environment or we will leave behind a planet that is disastrous for our kids.
- Over 90% of all seabird have plastic pieces in their stomach
- Disposing plastic in soil leads to decline in soil fertility
- Burned plastics releases poisonous chemicals in air
- Over 1 million sea creatures die each year due to discarded plastics
- Phthalates in plastics are known to be hormone disruptors that lead to diabetes and obesity.
- Benzene in plastics are known carcinogens.
- Other toxic stuff from plastics have known to cause thyroid disruptions, reproductive and development problems, asthma and allergies in kids
What can we do?
- Avoid disposable Styrofoam and plastics cups. Use glasses.
- Stop buying bottled water. Use a steel bottle
- Use non-disposable metal/ceramic plates, spoons, knifes, forks, and straws
- Avoid Tupperware and re-use the glass jars
- Bring a cloth bag to the grocery store and avoid plastic bags
- Compost to reduce garbage bags
- Recycle plastics that can be recycled
Source: Internet and other
The views expressed in this article should not be considered as a substitute for a physician’s advice. Always make sure to seek a doctor or a professional’s advice before proceeding with the home treatment plan.