Depression is not a disease it is a mental illness and emotional disorders.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
Depression is not same to everybody.
- Feelings of helplessness and physically slow down.
- Experiencing hopelessness
- Feeling sad and empty.
- Tolerance level is low therefore irritability and restlessness is common.
- Weight gain or loss may happen. Weight changes are clearly visible within a month.
- Sleeping disorders like insomnia or oversleeping.
- Deep fatigued and physically drained. Even a small work seems to be a huge task.
- Ability to think, making decision or concentration gets reduced.
- Continuous fear of death, sadness and suicide leads to clinically depressed.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in day to day activities
- Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt.
- You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
- Continuous feelings of headaches, back pain, muscle ache, stomach pain etc.
Causes of Depression
The factors and causes of clinical depression are varied like biological, genetic, environmental, psychological and medical illness.
- Losing near and dear ones.
- Fighting with chronic diseases and illness.
- Experiencing trauma.
- Changes in brain function and brain structure.
- Personality features like Low self esteem, negative way of thinking, unwarranted worry, more sensitiveness, overdependence and pessimistic view.
- Stress leads to psychological depression.
- Chronic diseases like AIDS, Cancer, Parkinson’s, Heart attack, Hormonal disorders, Diabetes makes one depressed.
- Tendency to get depression is more common with bipolar disorder (manic depression).
- Certain medicine like prednisone, sleeping pills, birth control drugs may cause depression.
- Misuse of alcohol and drugs.
- Diet lack in folic acid and Vitamin B-12 may lead to depression.
Complications of Depression
Depression is a serious mental disorder that may ruin individuals and families. It is advisable to take experts view regarding the disorders. Alternative remedies have greater role to play here. Using and practicing some forms of Alternative medicine like Yoga, Massage, Acupuncture, etc., show positive result in this direction.
- Suicidal Behavior-most dangerous depression complication, so, identifying suicidal behaviour can lift the person from this metal bipolar disorders
- Substance and Alcohol abuse
- Heart attack, Diabetes and other medical conditions
- Obese and eating disorders that cause appetite tremendously and leads to weight gain. Eating disorders deteriorate the depression signs and symptoms.
- Low esteem and self-injury
- Anxiety and Pain disorders are the outcome of depression.
- Emotional outburst is common.
- Sexual dysfunction
- Acute Back pain
- Fear of open or public gathering
- Follow good health habits to prevent depression.
- Proper and balanced diet is recommended.
- Yogic exercise, especially Relaxation and Meditation is one of the novel solutions.
- Shavasana in Yoga is highly recommended and acts like as a stress reducers.
- Sound sleep also keeps you away from depression.
- Think positively
- Do exercise regularly.
Depression and Diet
· Deficiency of vitamin D shows main symptoms of depression.
· Omega-3 fatty acid that makes up a large percentage of brain. It would be helpful in relieving depression. Omega-3 fatty acid gives as quick result as drugs.
· Deficiency of Vitamin B-Complex, Biotin, Folic Acid and Vitamin C also lead to digressional problems.
· Deficiency of Vitamin B1 may cause brain disorders as brain along with this vitamin convert glucose into fuel. If the mechanism get disturb, depression, anxiety, gastrointestinal disorders occur.
· Lack of vitamin B3 is associated with mental slowness and anxiety.
· Vitamin B5 cures depression and reduces symptoms like fatigue, stress and irritation.
· Vitamin B6 is good to uplift mood.
· Use of calcium and magnesium supplement is recommended.
· Eating of refined sugar and carbohydrate is avoided.
· Avoid Coffee, Tea, Fast and junk food to give healthy development to your brain.
· Avoid Alcohol and cigarettes.
· Skipping of breakfast should be avoided as it directly related with depression.
Yoga for Depression
Yoga is an effective alternative treatment for depression. Practicing Yoga with simple asanas and pranayamas may bring a pleasant environment to the person and keep depression away.
Yoga exercises help to circulate oxygen to brain, muscles and other parts of the body.
Here, some easy Yoga postures are given for depression. Yoga therapy is not just an exercise; it is a holistic form of treatment and provides therapeutic benefits.
- Surya Namaskar( Sun Salutation) energizes the entire neuro-glandular and neuro-muscular system of the body. It is extremely advisable for depression patients.
- Meditation is the best tool to control depression
- Shavasana is highly useful in taming the stress response and mental tiredness.
- Viparita Karni enhances blood circulation in brain and facilitates mental calmness and ease from clinical depression.
- Parvatasana helps to balance nervous system and beneficial for depression and anxiety.
- Padmasana is helpful in relieving the physical, nervous and emotional problems and useful for anxiety and depression.
- Makarasana eases physical and mental tiredness, improve mood and brain function.
- Balasana acts like as a depression buster.
- Ujjayi Pranayama is beneficial in curing and healing depression.
- Laughter Yoga is the best tip and solution for depression.
- Bhramari Pranayama relieves stress and tension.
- Sheetali and Sheetkari Pranayama provides overall cooling effect.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Depression
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) is beneficial for cooling and smoothening the nervous system and brain. Regular use of Brahmi oil eases depression.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) keep away from pessimistic thoughts, enhance the mind function and a cure for depression.
- Mandook Parni (Centella Asiatica) is good for depression.
- Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) helps to cure depression.
- Tinospora Cordifolia helps to increase blood circulation in brain.
- Cardamom ( Elattaria cardamomum) Cardamom tea show positive surprising result effect for depression patients.
- Guggulu ( Commiphora wightii) contains guggulsterones involves well coordination in the nervous system, hence good for depression.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) removes depression by smoothening the mind.
Nature cure treats depression through diet, physical exercise, scientific relaxation and meditation.
- Nutritional therapy to build brain chemicals such as serotonin and norepinephrine.
- Whole grains and green vegetables are needed to cure depression
- Preferred good mood foods like whole grain, bread, bananas, oranges and grape fruits. • Banana is good for depression as it contains magnesium. • Oranges and grapefruits are valuable in depression.
- Tea, coffee, beverages, soft drinks, white sugar, food colourings, chemical additives and strong condiments should be avoided. • Apple I nerve tonic and recharge the nerves with new energy and life
- Cashewnut is good remedy for depression.
- Asparagus is beneficial in the treatment of depression.
- Cardamom is a useful product for depression.
- Lemon balm is effective in the treatment of mental depression.
- Roses are useful in depression.
- Proper exercise also play greater role in the cure of depression.
- Exercise improves the function of the Autonomic Nervous.
- Adequate rest, relaxation, and meditation are essential to overcome depression
Source: Internet and other
The views expressed in this article should not be considered as a substitute for a physician’s advice. Always make sure to seek a doctor or a professional’s advice before proceeding with the home treatment plan.