POWER OF MEDITATION
According to the latest new field of study, Neurotheology, as outlined by Dr Andrew Newberg in Principles of Neurotheology – Meditation or Practices that involve concentrating on something over and over again, either through prayer or a mantra-based meditation, tend to activate the frontal lobes, the areas chiefly responsible for directing attention, modulating behavior, and expressing language.
Newberg believes everyone can benefit from some type of meditation practice. If one practice isn’t working for an individual, she should try something else. As a general rule, these practices lower depression, anxiety, and stress. He adds that at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, where he is director of research at the Myrna Brind Center of Integrative Medicine, researchers have found that meditation can improve memory and concentration.
· Letting go of the anger & events from the past
· Letting go of all the planning for the future
· Accepting this moment and living in the present
How to Meditate:
· Find a quiet and isolated place away from distractions.
· Sit crossed legged on the floor and relax your hands on your knees.
· Gently close your eyes and inhale from your nose slowly & deeply and exhale from your mouth.
· Slowly increase the capacity of oxygen; this will help rejuvenate the lungs.
· Pay attention to every breath you take.
· You can also play slow instrumental music to help you focus and calm our senses.
Health benefits of Meditation:
· Stress: Meditation can help prevent stress and slowly release pent up stress.
· Sensory organs: Meditation opens up your senses and makes your five senses receptive.
· Reduce anger: While reducing stress, meditation also reduces anger.
· Make better decision: With daily meditation, you have a calm approach and sharpened alertness and you are now better equipped to make better decisions.
· Sense of completeness: With reduced anger, low stress levels and increased capacity at work, you will feel you can complete a lot more in your day. With a clear mind, you can think of ways objectively.
· Happiness: All these positive traits will only heighten your sense of happiness. Daily meditation ensures to fight stress and control rage hence releases happiness hormones.
· Sleep: Relaxation from daily meditation helps you fall asleep quickly and naturally. Since your mind is clear of worried thoughts you can easily fall asleep, peacefully.