In an age of Covid-19 quarantine, depression is becoming a familiar phenomenon. In its milder form, depression is temporary and those who suffer from it succeed in living a perfectly healthy and normal life. On the other hand, its prolonged duration and severity may cause devastating damage to the physical and mental health of a person. So, it’s best to undergo proper treatment in a timely manner. Fortunately, as in many other cases, nature is at our disposal. Using natural ingredients, you can prepare a turmeric lemonade; an effective, simple recipe to prepare that will improve your mood and help you cope with life’s obstacles in a much better way.
Depression is defined as a brain disorder in which the secretion of chemicals in the brain is abnormal. Depression is a common phenomenon that affects millions of people around the world and is caused by a variety of factors, from tragic and unfortunate circumstances to genetics.
The general consensus is that depression is only a manifestation of feelings, such as unhappiness and sadness, into mental illness, but in more severe cases, the patient may experience physical symptoms that require medication such as sleep problems, concentration problems, and even self-harm. Among the various symptoms that may characterize a person with depression are:
- Feeling guilty
- Fatigue and loss of energy
- Poor concentration
- A sense of emptiness and lack of purpose
- Bad temper
- Decreased libido
- Decreased appetite
- Frequent and unexplained headaches
The good news is that the symptoms of depression, as well as many other diseases, can be greatly alleviated by the inclusion of natural ingredients in our diet.
Lemon – an ingredient that regulates our mood
Lemon has many different health benefits that make it a wonderful and useful natural remedy. Among other things, daily consumption of lemon was found to be effective in treating throat infections, digestive problems, constipation, high fever, high blood pressure, respiratory disorders, detoxification, skin care and more. Another significant benefit of lemon lies in its high concentration of vitamin C. Many studies have shown that subjects with high levels of vitamin C exhibited higher physical and mental strength when they were subjected to complex psychological challenges than subjects with low levels, suggesting that the vitamin reduces the levels of the stress hormone in the body known as cortisol.
Turmeric – a Magic Root
To date, turmeric is one of the most recommended dietary supplements with significant benefits for the body and mind. Various studies have shown that this wonderful spice helps the body fight against various diseases such as cancer, indigestion, arthritis, acute diarrhea, heart disease and even various symptoms of depression. In a study, researchers found that the consumption of the curcumin component in the spice offers the same positive effects on depression as fluoxetine, the active ingredient in the psychiatric drug Prozac. A significant advantage of this surprising discovery lies in the fact that, unlike Prozac, the intake of curcumin does not cause side effects. The positive effect of the antidepressant can be seen in three levels:
- First, curcumin is known to be an antioxidant that helps reduce inflammatory responses caused by physiological processes occurring during depression.
- Second, curcumin increases the levels of BDNF in the brain, the protein responsible for the growth of nerve cells in the brain and is an important part of thinking, learning, and memory. Various studies have linked low levels of BDNF to the appearance of various depressive symptoms.
- Finally, it was found that curcumin regulates the activity of various neurotransmitters in the brain, including Serotonin, which at stable levels regulates sleep, raises mood and increases appetite, and dopamine which is responsible for cognitive functions, attention, and learning.
Now for the MAGIC NATURAL ANTI-DEPRESSANT
- 4 cups soda water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons honey (preferably uncooked honey to extract the health benefits of the drink)
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
1. Squeeze the two lemons and the orange in a squeezer and mix the juice with regular or soda water.
2. Add a teaspoon of turmeric and mix until well blended.
3. Add the honey gradually to your taste.
4. Enjoy the drink.
For more read:
Source: AAP, Internet & Others
The views expressed in this article should not be considered as a substitute for a physician’s advice. Always make sure to seek a doctor or a professional’s advice before proceeding with the home treatment plan.